1206: The supposed relic of John the Baptist given to the bishop of Amiens. Brought back from the Fourth Crusade in Constantinople, this relic attracted an impressive pilgrimage throughout the Middle Ages.
1218: Fire breaks inside the Roman cathedral, likely struck by lightning.
1220: Construction of current cathedral begins. The first stone is laid down by Bishop Evrard de Fouilloy. Three successive project managers, Robert de Luzarches, Thomas and Renaud de Cormont lead the most ambitious construction project of medieval times.
1269: Donation by the Bishop of Amiens, Bernard d’Abbeville, of the stained glass for the axial bay in the monument’s apse. This stained glass, still visible today, marks the presumed date of completion of the structural work except for the framework. It took less than 50 years to erect the largest cathedral in France... a record!
1288: The labyrinth is moved inside the nave. The inscription on its central stone traces the origins of the monument’s construction. Estimated end of the works (spire, stained glass in the higher sections) except for the two towers.
1292 – 1375: initial plan of the cathedral is modified with the addition of the side chapels.
1300 - 1305: logging for framework of the nave, which still stands today.
1372: The South Tower is completed.
1389: The Puy Notre-Dame Fraternity is set up.Fondation de la confrérie du Puy Notre-Dame.
1401-1402: The North Tower, the highest of this monument, is completed.
1422: Donation of the first balcony organ. One of the oldest and highest in France (17m!). Modified throughout the centuries, the principal case dates back from the 16th century.
1482 – 1510: The cathedral undergoes major repair. The architect Pierre Tarisel commissioned a metal chaining in the triforium, still in place today, and added a second series of flying buttresses at the south of the choir.
Around 1490: The cathedral undergoes major repair. The architect Pierre Tarisel commissioned a metal chaining in the triforium, still in place today, and added a second series of flying buttresses at the south of the choir.
1508-1522: Creation of the stalls, depicting over 4,000 characters carved in oak.
1521: Repair of the West Rose Window (overlooking the main facade).
Around 1527-1531: Creation of the second span of the St Firmin enclosure with the mausoleum of Adrien de Hénencourt, donor.
1528: Cathedral's spire destroyed by fire.
1528-1533: Construction of current spire.
1531: Completion of the choir fence dedicated to St John the Baptist.
1628: The spire is shortened following severe weather conditions.
1636: The sculptor Nicolas Blasset creates the cathedral’s famous Weeping Angel
1742: A fire damages the cathedral's choir.
1755: Removal of the medieval rood screen, soon replaced by wrought iron railings created by Jean Veyren, nicknamed Le Vivarais.
1762-1781: The decoration and furniture of the chapels of the nave and the choir were replaced, and are still visible today.
1768: Creation of the magnificent sanctuary.
1773: Creation of the prayer pulpit of the nave.
1793: During the revolutionary period, the cathedral is transformed into the Temple of Reason and Truth, and then into the Supreme Temple. Several statues are mutilated.
1795: Restoration of Catholic practices.
1821: The architect François Auguste Cheussey takes over from Etienne-Hippolyte Godde and oversees the largest restoration works that will define this century. He entrusts the restoration of the statuary to three local sculptors, Caudron and the Duthoit brothers.
1849-1874: the famous Viollet-le-Duc supervises the renovation of the cathedral.
1862: The cathedral is registered as a historical monument.
1915-1918: The portals of the western front and that of the Golden Virgin Mary are covered with bags of soil to protect the carved decorations. Some shells penetrate into the cathedral but do not cause much damage. Removal of the stained-glass panels, sent to Paris for protection. Sadly, shortly after the war, they are destroyed by an accidental fire in the warehouse they were stored in.
1940: A large part of the city was destroyed during the German bombings. The cathedral remained unscathed.
1973-1980: Significant renovation works of the radiating chapels, the framework, the furniture and the spire.
1981: 1st listing of the cathedral on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
1998: 2nd listing of the cathedral on the UNESCO World Heritage List as a stage along the Santiago de Compostela pilgrim route in France.
Winter 1999: Completion of the cleaning of the western front of the cathedral and 1st lighting of the portals. The discovery of Amiens Cathedral polychromies generated a high level of scientific interest and international attention, propelling the monument into the 21st century!